Sergio Zelaya is the Director of Basso Movimiento in New Orleans. He has over 16 years of dance experience and has been teaching for 8 years! During the past two years Sergio is building the Salsa community in New Orleans
SALSA MISSISSIPPI – ITS THE PLACE TO BE!
Dance Team: We have made tremendous progress with our dance team. This past month our focus was on dance choreography. All the team members are excited and ready to show off their newly acquired On2 dance moves. Salsa Mississippi would like to thank Fred for his outstanding coaching and also for creating our first On2 Dance Team!! Even though this dance team season has ended, please be on the look out for additional information about our next season!
Carlos Colon workshop July 11th – The workshop was fantastic and we had so much fun. Carlos is a wonderful teacher and the workshop was extremely beneficial. He simplified advanced patterns and combinations in a dance friendly manner. For those who missed out the opportunity to participate, not to worry! He will be back soon!!
Barbecue July 12th – We continued our fun and enjoyment by cooking hamburgers in the studio parking lot. Our patrons also helped us clean and wash the portable dance floor in the sweltering heat! Thank you, all!
Rhino Charity Event July 11th – The charity event was a great success! Salsa Mississippi held a mini class at Pig & Pint for the participants.
New Orleans Workshop with Sergio – August 8th
Sergio Zelaya from New Orleans will be conducting a workshop on August 8th at Salsa Mississippi. The workshop will feature two hours of Kizomba and one hour of Salsa. The timings and details of the workshop will be announced soon.
Dancing with the Stars – August 21st
The Mississippi Opera Guild presents its 5th Annual DANCE WITH THE STARS. Instructors from Salsa Mississippi, Applause Dance Factory and Second Floor Dance Factory will pair up with local celebrities to dance the night away for the Opera fundraiser at the Country Club of Jackson.
For more information or to purchase tickets to DANCE WITH THE STARS, please call
601-960-2300 or write to email@example.com
Fondren First Thursday – August 6th
Fondren First Thursday is back! Come join us out on the street!
Welcome to our very first newsletter.
- We have some great news for you, Salsa Mississippi has a new website!! Isn’t that exciting?! Please visit us at www.salsamississippi.com for a complete list of class schedules, events and more!
- We are happy to inform you that Salsa Mississippi Dance Team is off to a good start. We’ve been focusing a lot on technique and timing. We’re working hard through our syllabus of footwork to give us a good foundation for dancing to Mambo music. If you are interested, please contact us No Experience necessary!
Here’s what we have been busy with in the last six months.
- Salsa Mississippi members can’t resist a good road trip to strengthen our moves and connections with our neighboring states. Over the last 6 months we have traveled twice to Huntsville, AL, and twice to Atlanta, GA! And guess what! We even saw El Gran Combo in concert in New Orleans!
- Mambo On2 with Frederick Cheung on May 9 added a new element to our dancing repertoire. That was great, Fred! Mambo On2 is often danced to Mambo Dura. It gets its name from the break/direction change in the basic step that occurs on count 2. It was made popular by Eddie Torres and others in the 1980s in New York.
Here’s what we have for you in the month of June 2015:
- “Fondren After 5” – Thursday, June 4, 2015. Come dance with us at Salsa Mississippi Club and Studio from 5:00 pm to 8:30 pm
- Summer’s here and the best way to celebrate it is to learn a new, fun, dance form! Have you ever given Salsa or Mambo a thought? If you have, we’d be more than happy to help!
- Enrollment begins for Dance Team for June. Please contact us
if you would like to join the team. No experience necessary.
From all of us at Salsa Mississippi